The next day we took Melissa to the hospital and I got to get Mia from the nursery. I had the special bracelet. At first Melissa just looked at the baby and wouldn't touch her, but she was still pretty cute with her.
I was torn the whole day about what to do. Should I stay and take care of the baby? Should I back off and let A have some time with the baby? Should I drop Melissa off at a friends house again? I was constantly second guessing myself. As it was we stayed for a little while in the morning with Melissa, then Kent went to school, Melissa and I ran errands, and napped, and then I went back in the evening. My mom also flew in the night. Poor Melissa was dragged around quit a bit that day, but lucky for me kids are pretty flexible.
Thursday was the day for leaving the hospital and for signing relinquishment papers. By law you had to wait 48 hours after birth, which meant 4:14pm most of the time you leave the hospital around 1 but they were kind enough to let us stay until 4:00ish. Kent and I went to the new baby class the hospital offers in the morning. It was very awkward being the only non post-pardum women in the room. Then we hung out at the hospital waiting. You would have thought it would go by slow but on the contrary time flew by. Poor Kent had a long day, he skipped his first class, but then had a meeting he had to go to and a night class that he had to prepare for. So he spent a lot of time in a corner of the hospital trying to prepare arguments for his trail practice class.
Around four we all headed to the lawyers office, since the hospital doesn't allow relinquishment on their grounds. I wont lie relinquishment was hard. The legal language is very plain, and very clear, and it can be hard to hear. Overall Angel made it through surprisingly well. So did Grandma J.
Side note: I don't think I haven't mentioned Grandma J yet. Grandma J as we call her, is Angels mother. She has been SO incredible this whole journey. When Angel was pregnant Grandma J would reefer to the baby as Beth's Baby, and later as BB. She has been so supportive and so wonderful. She crochet us a baby blanket for Mia. Relinquishment was really hard on her as well. We just love her dearly as well. She is a wonderful lady.
Adoption is wrought with duel feelings. On the one hand you have been blessed with a baby. No time can be more happy and more exciting. But on the other you realize the sacrifice that another is making for you and your heart breaks for them, and tears come to your eyes. I'm not sure that anyone can truly comprehend unless you have experienced it.
And then we headed home. It was really happening. I was grateful to have my mom in town to watch Melissa since we were both gone from 9am-6pm. Poor Kent had to run to his class, but we had two dinners waiting for us. One from our ward family and one from my mom. (We ate mom's soup for lunch the rest of the week) Melissa was so cute as I walked in the door with Mia. "Awwww she so cute". My thoughts exactly.
1 comment:
"Awwwww, so cute." My thoughts exactly. :)
Such a wonderful story. It brought tears to my eyes even though I have never experienced it such an event personally.
Post a Comment