I was released from my calling* in Young Womens today. It was the first time that I cried about changing callings. Okay truth be told I bawled a few times. I love these girls so much and I loved that calling. I honestly expected to work with the Young Women until I left the ward, I think it was part of how I defined myself within the ward. I know that I can redefine myself and that I will learn to love my new calling (ward missionary). I also know that the Lord directs callings within the church. But I'm still a little sad. I'm especially going to miss the social connection with the girls on Wed nights. Coming home from vacation I was feeling a little down. The YW had a get together and I knew going would cheer me right up and it did.
*Most of you reading this blog are more than familiar with the term 'calling' as it refers to the church for any of you who may not be here is a short and hopefully understandable explanation. Within the church aka The Church of Jesus Christ of Ladder Day Saints aka the Mormons, we have lay ministry. Which means that we have no paid clergy. Our congregation is called a ward and a bishop is in charge of everyone in the ward, but he also has to make a living and support a family, which would be impossible for one person. So the bishop has two counselors, a secretary, and a ward clerk. But even that isn't enough. So all of the auxiliary organizations, Primary (children), Young Women (teenagers girls), Relief Society (women), Young Men (teenager boys) and so one; each have a president, two counselors, a secretary, teachers and so one. It trickles down to every member of the ward. A callings is what position you are serving in. Its called a calling because you don't volunteer for it, the bishop in counsel with others prays and prays and receives inspiration about who should be where, when and for how long. It often takes us by surprise and we often don't know why we are called to serve where we are. But what a wonderful system. Without it everyone would always do what they always did. The same people would always be in the forefront leading the way and the same people would be on the back-row. You would always stay within your comfort zone and you wouldn't grow as much or influence as many people as you do when you are ask to stretch and step outside the familiar. A good reminder to myself.
3 comments:
I feel sad and excited for you all at the same time. :)
Angie-
That's pretty much what I feel too.
I totally understand the feeling. But don't worry...YW's will always be there and the relationship that you have built with those girls will be too!
Post a Comment