Monday, February 8, 2010

The Bushtits are coming!!!!!

Bushtit (bush-tit): 1. A very small drab gray bird with a long tail, which is very social nature, often forms flocks of up to 40 individuals, are very noisy, and tend to hang with other species of birds. 2. A musical group. 3. A social group consisting of three college friends, Bushtit A, Bushtit B, and Bushtit E who on occasion group together to join in the act of birding. Camping, talking and other friend-like activities, may also occur.

Birding (bird-ing): 1. The act or pursuit of the sport of bird watching. Yes people its a sport complete with expensive equipment.


Top Ten Reasons I love hanging out with my bushtits. In no particular order.

1. Because they are fun, awesome, funny, intelligent people.

2. Because we have a lot in common. (personality, hobbies, interest, likes, science nerdiness, bird nerdiness)

3. Because we have a lot not in common (religion, politics, family life, state we reside in, life experiences)

4. Because they like birds.

5. Because when given the option the tent stays packed and we sleep under the stars.

6. Because our friendship has weathered many ups and downs and is still intact. (13 years and counting. Holy Crap has it been THAT long???)

7. Because being with them reminds me that Birding Beth still lives. I love my life as a wife and mother and wouldn't change it for the world, but it is sometimes good to be reminded that I am myself outside of those roles.

8. Because they make me laugh.

9. Because they inspire me to be a better person, to read more, to learn the facts rather than just believe what I'm told is true, to learn more, to be more.

10. Because they find natural beauty in unexpected places.

11. Because we once spent an hour while birding, looking at bugs in a pond.

12. Because they are coming to Omaha to hang out with me and see cranes and chickens and birds and I'm sooooo excited! PLEASE BE WARM WEATHER WHEN THEY ARE HERE. There's a whole lot o snow that needs to melt in the next 4 weeks.

hmmm I guess I can't count.

2 comments:

Ern said...

Yay, I'm SO EXCITED TO COME!

If we can handle snow in Southeastern Arizona and floods (and chili-stealing raccoons) in Southern Utah, we can handle a little snow. :)

ABranch said...

Where is my comment? I thought I posted one... :)

It went something like this:

"Yippie!"

but better.