So I wasn't going to write about this weekend, but I felt the urge to anyway. But I better start with the whole week. We had much to accomplish in one week. We needed to pack but also wanted to see/do some Omaha things one more time. Monday we started out packing. Melissa got to spend the day at a friends house. Tuesday we were suppose to have family pictures taken at the temple but it was way too cold and raining, so we moved pictures to Thursday morning. Instead we headed to Lincoln and went to their Childrens Museum. Melissa had a GREAT time. For pictures click HERE (after I get them loaded).
Wed morning we took Mia to the doctors. It was one of those things when you debate if it is just a virus or an ear-infection, take her it or not. But we decided to take her because the next day it would be possible would be Monday and if she got worse in the next few days it would be rather inconvenient. We made the right call since she did have the start of an ear-infection, so we got a prescription for antibiotics. Then we went to The Amazing Pizza Machine. I thought it was going to be chucky cheese like, but it was SOO MUCH BETTER. It was Amazing. There was a buffet, slick track, rides, arcades, and lots of fun things to do. We all had a really great time. For pictures click HERE (after I get them loaded). Wed night we packed a little, rescued a stranded friend, and had one more, last game night we some of our favorite people.
Thursday we planned on having pictures in the morning and then head to the Zoo for the afternoon. Since family was going to arrive around noon we invited them to join us. However once again the weather was too cold for pictures Thursday morning so we rescheduled again for 2:30. Which meant the Zoo trip had to be pushed up to the morning. So up we got up and quickly pack a lunch for the Zoo and everything we might need or desired to be immortalized by photographs later. And of course did all of this as fast as possible so as to have as much time as possible at the Zoo, which was packed with field trips. But was still fun and we were able to see the new Madagascar exhibit, which was neat. The Cottam delegation consisting of Mom, Dad, and Brother Kyle, met us at the Zoo. Melissa got to ride the carousel TWICE her favorite at the Zoo, and we got to show the Cottam delegation around a bit before dashing off for family pictures. Click HERE for pictures, after I get them loaded.
We raced up to the temple changed and waited for our photographer. The pictures turn out great and the weather finally cooperated. We bribed Melissa into being good and smiling during pictures with swimming at Grandmas hotel after. So after pictures, Kent and Melissa went to the hotel for swimming. Meanwhile the first wave of Jewkes delegation arrived consisting of Mom, sister Lisa, and sister-in-law Brroke. So I took them and Mia shopping to find me a new dress for all the up coming festivities. I ended up with a skit and blouse outfit and 3 inch heels.
After a week of friends house, childrens museum, pizza machine, zoo, and swimming my poor 3 year old, was exhausted and the fun was just starting. Friday we hit the ground running early again. We were up, dressed up, looking good and out the door for court by 8:15 am. And we played the hurry up and wait game. We waited for our attorney who waited for the judge who was double booked, so we waited for another judge to fill in. Another judge later we finally had a judge. In Utah for Melissa they swore us in, and we testified, our attorney testified, as did a representative from LDSFS. This time the judge visited with us, congratulated us, had Melissa turns some pages and signed the paperwork. She didn't even really read any of it. This could be because she was also double booked, or because she knew and trusted the attorney, or simple because that is her personality. Either way the whole process after waiting for 45 min took 5. But it was an important 5 min because now Mia is officially legally ours. Click HERE for pictures.
We headed home, after a stop to pick up a cap and gown from the law school. The Parental delegation who come to court, went back to hotels to change clothes, so they could take Melissa to the 'big slides'. In the meantime we had lunch, and Mia fell asleep. So I decided to stay home with her so she could sleep in her bed. The Jewkes delegation went to pick up my dad from the airport. And then I went out to eat with the whole Jewkes delegation. (Meanwhile the big slides were a BIG hit. Wax paper really makes them fly and everyone had a great time). More changing clothes and we were off to Hooding.
Shift one (seat savers and graduate) head for the hooding around 4. Shift two arrived just on-time although it was closer than preferred. We had kids, in tow with a packed dinner. Hooding was awesome, although the kids weren't that well behaved, as a result Mom J missed Kent hooding since she was in the hall with screaming baby, (but she volunteered to help with the kids so...) I was very impressed with graduation. It felt very regal, and as my Dad said 'not everyone graduates from law school'. I personally know two people and kent knows more, that either failed, or dropped out before completing law school. I was very proud of Kent and his dedication. Proud too of the small role I may have played. I have always tried hard to encourage but not push. Encourage to find what he likes and pursue. Sometime it is hard to be in the background playing the supporting role but I haven't minded and loved seeing him accomplish this great goal. Although he of course down played the whole thing, as NOT a big deal. Pictures
Saturday morning, was commencement. The Jewkes delegation (minus Mom) volunteered to watch the girls for me, which after Friday night I took them up on. (They really just didn't wait to sit through commencement not that I can blame them). Melissa woke up sick, but eventually perked up enough to swim again. Thanks Lisa and Brooke for watching the girls. Again I was very impressed with commencement. Many graduations try to be too much pomp and circumstances, that they come off silly and dumb, but it was really nice and felt regal. It is the third graduation I have sat through for Kent, since getting married. LDS Business college, University of Utah and now Creighton University. I was more emotional than I thought I would be. It is a significant event for our family. Much has happen because of the decision to go to law school. Wonderful things that will effect our lives forever. Graduation means the end of an era for us. Possibly the end of Omaha which we have loved, and all the people whom we love here. And in many ways student life had its advantages.
We finally got both delegations together for lunch at Farmhouse. I left early to pick up a cake from Walmart and then drove in circles for an HOUR which I didn't have so that Melissa could take a nap. She finally fell a sleep 1/2 hour before we had to leave for the temple. So she wasn't in too great of a mood. I should have packed dinner for her, but between getting the house picked up and myself ready ran out of time.
The temple was incredible, not as streamline and organized as the big busy temples in Utah but more intimate. Mia was adorable, Melissa was still a little grumpy but good. In all the ceremony took about 5 min. But it was an important 5 min. because now Mia is officially, religiously, eternally ours. Pictures.
After the temple we had some friends over to help us eat cake and ice-cream. Sunday morning was actually the most downtime for me. Kent however was frantically trying to pack. Frantically trying to pack a car, his clothes, three years of law school stuff, all the stuff I wouldn't know what to do with, and anything else he may want for 2 weeks. I got the girls ready for church and realized that although my family had been in town for 3 days I felt like I had only had a chance to really visit with them for 10 minutes. Sunday afternoon we blessed Mia in the Rockbrook ward. I was disappointed that Mia's birth family left before I got a chance to visit with them. But everything went really nice. Now everyone, including the records of the church new Mia was officially, forever, ours.
After church brother Kyle drove one of our cars home. Mom J. and Brooke loaded up their car and headed for Alabama. And Dad J., Lisa, and Kent headed to the airport for a 5:30 plane to Salt Lake City. I think the full impacted of everything that had happened and the realization of what the next two weeks for be all came crashing down on my on Sunday afternoon. So I was a wreck. But sleep helped. Sunday night we visited with Mom and Dad C. who left early Monday morning. And then it was just me and my girls.
Whew...no wonder I didn't get dressed until noon on Monday....Writing it all down I see why I was so exhausted. I'm tired just re-reading it all.
1 comment:
What a lot to cram into a short time! Congrats to Kent, and congrats to you both for the OFFICIAL inclusion of little M into your family. I'm glad to have gotten to spend a little time with your girls so I can picture everything, and with you in Nebraska, since you love it so much.
Post a Comment