Tuesday, April 13, 2010

My M&Ms: Growing up

Melissa: She craves social interactions. She is such an extrovert**. She gets so much energy from playing with kids, it amazes me. She LOVES to play with other kids, and considers any person younger than 12 to be a 'friend'. The other day she begged and begged to go play outside because some other friends were out. I really didn't want her to because it was late, and cold out, but I finally caved. I stood by the back door and watched her play. She is growing up. She isn't my little toddler anymore. Watching her interact with her friends I realized how much she is growing into her own person. I want to say slipping away from me, but its not really, as she is just becoming herself. But at the same time I see that others are starting to influence her. She is picking up on what other people say and do. I'm not really sure what to think and feel about that, and I know that it will only increase with time.

She is also very independent and strong willed. Two traits that run deep in the women of my family (including myself), but nonetheless exasperating at times. She is a great helper and is the only one that can get Mia to laugh on command. I love watching her interact with Mia. (most of the time). I am amazed at how articulate she is and how quick to remember stuff. She is constantly singing. You never have to wonder what she is thinking because she just lets you know. She loves talking on the phone. Sometimes I swear she is 3 going on 13.

**Side not: An Extrovert (as I have learned it) is someone who is energized by social interactions. A introvert is someone who is energized by being by themselves. For example if two people had to do a challenging or intimidating task like speaking in public, afterward an introvert would read a book or surf a computer, an extrovert would call a friend, or go out with a social group. Being the introvert mother of a energetic extrovert can be exhausting.

Mia: She is officially six months old. Holy cow when did that happen? She is such a delight and happy soul. She has discovered that her vocal cords can go down as well as up and makes a growling sound. Melissa can make her laugh pretty much on cue, me she just looks at me, as if to say 'I know you are trying mom, but you just look dorky'. She finally figured out how to roll over from her tummy to her back. And we started feeding her rice cereal, and other sorted baby food. She can sit up on her own for a few brief moments before toppling over. I love the 6 month baby stage we they are so adorable and their personalities really start to shine, but still babies. And no matter what I do, her hair still sticks straight up, but I love it.


1 comment:

ABranch said...

:) I loved getting to know your kids. I got to smile through this whole post and think "I remember that!"