Saturday, April 17, 2010

Birding with a Big M

I've always loved spring, but Spring seems to be magnified in Omaha, (but that is the subject for another post). Spring means migration. Oh I LOVE the spring migration in Nebraska. As the trees and the flowers come alive so do the birds, and the birding community. And it gets me twitching. Especially because spring also means finals. Finding time to do all the birding I want or even some birding and balance the needs of my family is a challenge. I sneak off now and again, an evening drive to Lincoln here, and an early morning back by 10 quicky there. And then there is trying to bird WITH the kids.

Earlier this week I took Melissa. I didn't really plan on it, but at the last minute I took her. We drove out to Lincoln to see the Pine Warbler. I thought the chances of seeing it with my attention divided were minimal, but 5 min after leaving the car there it was. I not only saw it but had great looks of it, heard it sing, and was able to relocated it twice. After satisfyingly watching it for a few minutes I was able to throw pine cones in the lake with Melissa, took her to the play ground, and the nature center. It was a spectacular park and I had THE BEST time there. I had so much fun with her and the park and the birds. It was a wonderful day.

And then I got cocky.

I figure it worked out so well I would try it again. But this time I had both kids. I had it all planned out, we were going to go for a hike down at Fontenelle, and sit and wait for the woodpecker to come to us. After arriving it took me forever to get the baby in the front back, the back pack full of water, treats, snacks, diapers, wipes and other mommy essentials, on my back, binoculars in hand, and ready to leave when Melissa insisted we look at the horses first. Then informed me she had to pee. There are no bathroom anywhere NEAR where we were. Since I had just gotten ready I did not want to load everything back up into the car: but that is exactly what I should have done.

I thought I could talk her into peeing in the woods. After convincing her there were no bathrooms around which was no small feet we started on the trail. I then tried to get her to go off the trail a little way to go. But she got bonked with the binoculars, and then got into some prickle bushes, and they hurt really bad. Now all she wanted to do was go home, not that I could blame her, but I didn't want to leave on such a negative note. So I convinced her to keep going (by saying we were on a loop and the car was up the trail which wasn't a Total lie). She started having fun but would not leave the trail for fear of more ochy plants and we never did take care of the other problem. I'm sure by this time you can guess the end of the story and no, the mommy backpack did not contain an extra pair of pants, underwear or socks.

On the upside, I gave Missa her own pair of binoculars and she thought that was so cool, and she look stinky cute looking through them the wrong way, we heard a barred owl at 2:00 p.m. and Mia cooed at the trees.

Ah the misadventures of the birding mother of two adorable kids. Maybe one day I will learn but I doubt it.

No comments: