Monday, June 28, 2010

Birding Adventures: Utah

It is so much fun to have a birding buddy again! Our first adventures was up to summit park to see an evening grosbeak. We didn't see him but did hear it. Which means we were in the right area, just had bad luck. They are birds after all, and wild ones at that. But it was a fun day anyway. I saw lots of birds I hadn't seen for a long time.

But then posted on the internet were directions to a spotted owl....in Zion's national park. Do you know what the best part about having a birding buddy is? They don't think a 10 hours car ride for a spotted owl is all that crazy, in fact its their idea! So we went. And it was so fun! We crashed at my brother-in-law place in Cedar City (Thanks again K&M). Got up the next morning headed to Zions. They were seeing the owls along the trial to Angels Landing. That day they weren't roosting in the trees right off the trails so I think we got lucky seeing one in this crevice.

Can you find the owl in that picture? It took us a while too.

Angie searching.
We never found the other ones. (Three were two adults and a juvenile).
Angie enjoying the fruits of our labors.
After enjoying him for awhile we hiked the rest of the trail to the top.
It was really great to be in Southern Utah again. We are really lucky to have 5 national parks in same state! And the landscape is so unique.

Then we stopped of a slushy and headed home. It was a great weekend, with a great friend, great conversation, great scenery, and a great bird.

The only thing that could have made it better was if Bushtit E could have joined us. But for a last minute quick trip 2 out of 3's not bad.

3 comments:

ABranch said...

Hey great pictures and story! I love our different perspectives in telling it! I am very excited to have a birding buddy too. And... I think there is definitely a-meet-in-the-middle B-tit weekender in our future with B-E! (I am thinking Lytle ranch).

BTW cute new layout. I love the M's toes!

Jules said...

cute photo Beth!

Ern said...

Ah, you so did post first! I have so many unread feeds in my feedreader that I missed yours and caught Ang's. :S

I really am so glad you guys got to see at least one of them, even though I couldn't be there.

And Lytle Ranch sounds like a good idea. Small SMALL chance I might be able to do a September weekender (although it wouldn't be a long weekend...) since I'll be on family practice and should have weekends off. I'll keep you guys posted!