Where do I begin? The beginning, the end? I think I'll start in the middle.
What a miracle adoption is. Few people in the world can comprehend the magnitude of such an act. The power of love. It fills my heart. I can not begin to describe the tender feelings I have for such a thing. That a person would love enough and care enough to give a part of themselves so that I could be a parent and share in their love. My heart aches for birth parents around the world. They are true heroes, and our angels on earth. To protect her privacy I will henceforth refer to Mia's incredible birth mom as Angel. And let me again pause here to say how incredible she is, how awesome and how much we love and will forever love this wonderful young woman.
Angel's water broke at 2:00 am. She got to the hospital and called us at 3:30 am. This was two weeks before her due date. I was sure that we had at least another week, so we weren't really expecting a middle of the night phone call. Consequentially it took two tries to roust us out of bed. I immediately went to the hospital and Kent continued not to sleep.
Angel was very anxious about getting an epidural, she had some back problems and was concerned about it. But around 10am she relented. After that she was much more comfortable. Modern technology is a wonderful thing. Then it was really a matter of waiting. We started to make bets on we the baby would arrive. I guessed 3:30, someone else guess 2:30. Then we asked the nurse and she said 7:00. We groaned. Luckily she was wrong.
Around 3:00pm Angel was complaining about pressure, the nurse checked her and she was fully dilated. It was time to go. The nurse got things ready and had her push a few times, then made her stop to wait for the doctor. That was the most uncomfortable part for Angel of the whole thing. Finally the doctor got there and 15 min later, at 4:14 pm she was born. She weighed 6lbs 7oz and was 19 inches long. I cut the cord. She had tons of dark dark hair. They cleaner her off and weighed her and did some assessments. I quickly called Kent so he could hear her first cries. Then they wrapped her and I got to hold her.
Meanwhile they continued to work on Angel. I was amazed at how easy it was for Angel, not that giving birth is easy, but from what I’ve heard for a first time mom she was incredible. The doctor said she torn just a little and put one little stitch in. The doctor said “it’s a waste of suture”. Once things settled down I called Kent and he came over to the hospital. He said between those two calls was one of the longest hours he has ever lived. I was outside making phone calls when he got there, (since I had NO cell phone coverage inside the hospital), and he literally dragged me inside. After Kent got to the hospital we finally settled officially on a name, Mia Krynn. And then Kent got to give Mia her first bath.
Being there for the birth was a thrilling experience. I didn’t really think it was gross or embarrassing or weird at all. I know it sounds cliché but it seemed to me to be the most natural and beautiful thing in the world. How lucky I am, I am truly blessed to have had such a wonderful experience. I’m so gratefully that Angel was willing to share that time with me, and I will treasure it.
This whole experience has been and continues to be so different from our previous experiences with adoption and with Melissa that we are almost at a lost as to how to act and what to do. But more on that train of thought later.
2 comments:
I am so happy for you, Kent, and Mellisa! And what a neat experience. I was surprised that the mother allowed such an intimate experience and then I thought, "no, that is Beth". You bring everyone into your world. Thanks for sharing Mia's first (of many) "little story".
I'm anxiously waiting for the rest of the story! :) So happy for you! I can't wait to see her!
Post a Comment