Sunday, May 23, 2010

Things I Will Miss About Omaha

10. Fireflies. I feel deprived as a child for not have fireflies growing up.

9. Thunderstorms. Nobody can do a thunderstorm like the Midwest can.

8. $0.50 ice-cream cones from BP, and taking the kids for walks to get one.

7. Spring.

6. The birds. There are many birds that I can see in Utah that I haven't yet, but I still feel like a beginner birder in Nebraska. I'm just scratching the surface on birds to see, and how to find them.

5. The Zoo

4. The Prairie. Believe it or not I have enjoyed the lack of mountains. (except during the winter). It has been fun to discover and find a sense of place in a place that is so different from where I grew up. I can now put a face (so to speak) to books like Sara Plain and Tall, and Little House on the Prairie, not to mention all of the pioneers that traveled west. I have only just begun to explore all that the prairie has to offer.

3. Hitchcock Nature Center. HNC is the cute, beautiful, awesome little nature center that I volunteered at. I will miss the people there, the scenery there, the chance I had to escape there. I will also miss Fontenell Forest, Nealle Woods and other Nature Center out here. I will especially miss the fun programs that they offer for kids and adults alike.

2. My Ward. Growing up I often hear the term "ward family" but never understood it like I do out here. Living away from your extended family your ward family becomes your extended family. You call on them to do what you would ask your family to do. From watching your kids to helping you move. I have had some wonderful opportunities to serve out here and I will miss all that the Rockbrook ward has given me.

1. Of all the things I will miss; the thing I will miss most are the people. Weekly game nights with Journeys, lunch dates with girl friends, play dates for Melissa.

2 comments:

ABranch said...

My heart goes out to you. Omaha has become your heartland and I know you will miss it while you are away.

I still need to see fireflies...

Beth said...

I also forgot to mention the Ciacada bugs.